Mead Johnson faces legal action over infant meningitis death19 October 2012
A lawsuit has been filed against US nutrition firm Mead Johnson after the company’s Enfamil formula was linked to three cases of meningitis, including one death.
The 10-day-old child died after being sickened by Cronobacter sakazakii bacteria which has previously been associated with tainted baby formula. The plaintiffs allege that the children fell ill after consuming three different varieties of Mead Johnson’s popular Enfamil powdered formula late in 2011.
The families have accused Mead Johnson of negligence and claim that since 2000, environmental sampling at the firm’s facilities has uncovered harmful ingredients in raw ingredients, premix and finished products. Mead Johnson is also accused of failing to inform consumers that its products should not be given to children affected by immune health issues.
"The lawsuit refers to a batch that was extensively tested by Mead Johnson, as well as the Centers for Disease Control as well as the Food and Drug Administration. All those tests detected no bacteria," said Christopher Perille, Mead Johnson’s spokesperson.
Food ingredients Istanbul
Fi Asia China
Fi South America