10 Interesting Things You Didn’t Know about the European Omega-3 Industry18 Nov 2014
As you may have experienced in the past, trade shows often become more of a meeting place to connect with customers and prospects, with less time to be out walking the aisles and attending seminars. Understanding market changes and trending can add immense value to strategic business decision-making and your trade show experience. GOED has […]
As you may have experienced in the past, trade shows often become more of a meeting place to connect with customers and prospects, with less time to be out walking the aisles and attending seminars. Understanding market changes and trending can add immense value to strategic business decision-making and your trade show experience.
GOED has just completed its latest market research report, “The EPA and DHA Omega-3 Ingredient Market Report.” This 480+ page report is an extensive review of the global ingredients market for the 2012-13 years, and includes global information by source and oil type, geographic region and end use application.
To help your preparation and planning for the Health Ingredients Europe show on Dec 2-4th, here are 10 market facts to help you better understand the European omega-3 market and provide some pre-show intelligence.
- Europe saw strong growth in supplements in 2013, despite being a more mature omega-3 market, and was driven by a few key sectors like krill oils and cod liver oils.
- The total volume of omega-3 oils sold in Europe in 2013 was up 5% from 2012 and the total value was up 8% from 2012.
- Omega-3 concentrates are the largest segment by value in Europe, in large part to due to the widespread availability of pharmaceutical omega-3s across European markets.
- Pharmaceutical omega-3s are, though, not yet available in all European countries and this represents a significant growth opportunity. Trend to watch: generics are starting to enter the market and competition will change going forward.
- From a raw material sources point of view, krill oil was the fastest growing segment in percentage terms, by more than four times the next fastest segment.
- It was, however, cod liver oils that added the most volume to the market due to increased production.
- Refined anchovy oils declined in volume by 2.5% but increased significantly in value by 24% primarily due to crude oil price increases.
- By application, clinical nutrition saw the fastest volume growth as the benefits of omega-3s in this sector are becoming more well-known.Europe has one of the largest food and beverage markets for omega-3s, driven by a few key countries.
- Supplements added the most volume and value in Europe and were largely driven by increased consumption of cod liver oil compensating for the decline in anchovy volumes.
If you’d like to learn more on how to access this report or one of GOED’s many market research reports on other segments of the omega-3 value chain, please send me an email at [email protected] or come by the GOED Omega-3 Pavilion at stand H74 during the show. I hope to see you there.
Healthy eating guidelines could help EU hit the methane reduction targets
1 Jul 2022
National healthy eating guidelines calling for 50% cut in red meat and 25% drop in dairy consumption could be key for the European Union (EU) to meet its 2030 methane reduction targets, according to the Changing Markets Foundation.Read more
Harnessing oat hulls to make sustainable sweeteners
30 Jun 2022
Finnish company Fazer is transforming the oat hull side streams from its existing oat mill into the low-calorie sweetener, xylitol.Read more
Parmesan partnership to put ‘blockchain ready’ digital chip on all cheese wheels
29 Jun 2022
A new line of food-safe and secure digital labels on each Parmigiano Reggiano cheese wheel will deliver previously unseen levels of traceability, product control, and quality assurance, says the Consorzio del Parmigiano Reggiano (CFPR).Read more
‘Game-changing’ tech such as automation and synthetic biotechnology the future for manufacturing, VTT predicts
28 Jun 2022
“Game-changing technologies” such as synthetic biotechnology – combining engineering principles with biology in natural production processes – and more automation could revolutionise European food manufacturing, as well as for a host of other sectors i...Read more
World first: Dutch team develop method to extract high-value protein from tomato leaf
27 Jun 2022
Tomato leaves that are currently seen as a major waste stream in horticulture could provide a reliable and sustainable source of rubisco – a widespread plant protein that has potential in food and drink, say researchers.Read more
Boom or bust: Are consumers ready for the alternative protein revolution?
24 Jun 2022
While excitement over alt-proteins is high among industry and investors, major challenges remain for companies looking to convince consumers to switch to a plant-based ‘meat alternative’.Read more
New EU mineral oil limits an ‘important step for food safety’
23 Jun 2022
The EU’s decision to restrict aromatic mineral oils (MOAH) in food products has been hailed as an important step in food safety and consumer protection but consumer organisation, Foodwatch, is calling for binding regulation to go one step further.Read more
NutriScore logo could help young people make healthier food choices – but more awareness is needed
22 Jun 2022
The European Nutri-Score labelling system can help young people make healthier food choices, according to a Spanish study – but one third still do not know what the label indicates.Read more
Mars launches animal-free chocolate with Perfect Day’s whey protein
21 Jun 2022
Mars has launched a vegan chocolate bar made with biotech unicorn Perfect Day’s animal-free whey protein made via precision fermentation.Read more
Unilever in $120m biotech venture to scale palm oil alternative
20 Jun 2022
Unilever has teamed up with US biotech company Genomatica to commercialise its palm oil alternative produced via a biotechnology fermentation process.Read more
Are you a supplier?
Here's what we can do for you
- Generate quality leads for your business
- Stay visible for 365 days of the year
- Receive product inquiries and respond to meeting requests directly
- Improve company online presence through Search Engine Optimisation